Wednesday, July 30, 2008

A new schedule for IndyCar... is this a paradigm shift?

I will admit, I don't like 'right-turn' racing. Street and road courses are not my thing. I don't like slow racing on any level, and on a road course the average speed teeters around 110mph. I am in the minority here, so I will not really go any further on that. I will just say that I really prefer ovals over road courses and street courses.

The IndyCar Series announced the 2009 schedule today. Not a lot of shocking revelations because we knew what was coming. I will say however that I would have preferred to see some events on the schedule change and some different ones chosen. Like Iowa. I don't hate Iowa Speedway, but I don't like going to Iowa then to Richmond immediately afterward. They are too similar. I also think that we need to look at other tracks that are bigger like Daytona's road course or California. There are only 2 courses on the west coast (and Edmonton) and although I live in the Ohio Valley, we are screwing those people out of races by not going west.

Several circuits are very similar. Texas, Chicago, Kentucky and Homestead are similar racing. Not all the same distance, but similar in speed, competition, difficulty, etc. At least the road/street courses really force diversity. Obviously we cannot get another Indy track to the schedule as we cannot run at Daytona or Pocono, but what about Charlotte? There are other track options that should be considered.

So now the schedule is out. Which races will I go to? Indy, Kentucky, and maybe Mid-Ohio. Outside of that, don't know. With the poor media coverage, I may travel and watch more races to make up for not getting good programming on TV.

No comments: