Friday, July 25, 2008

No, I really do like my country... (political)

Amazing... simply amazing.
I cannot use any other words to describe what I have been watching the last few days on the news. It seems that Sen Barack Obama has taken a little trip. In taking this trip, I have heard more positive things about this country come from his lips than any time he has spoken this year. Why do we suppose this is the case? I know exactly. He is not on our soil.
We live in a world that hates the United States of America. If there was any doubt in the minds of our citizens those should have been erased on or around September 11, 2001. As most, I watched the drama unfold throughout the day, however I had a different outlook on things. Not more than 12 weeks prior to those sobering events I lived in New York Harbor, in a little town called Atlantic Highlands, NJ. I was stationed in the harbor aboard a Navy warship, and had just transferred and moved my family on July 1 to St Louis. The events of that September day haunt me because I used to stand on the navigation deck of my ship and look at the towers in the harbor every morning before starting work. When that day happened I was in Florida in school, but it was like I was there. My wife (who grew up there her entire life) was very upset because we had a friend that carpeted the towers (and our house). It really hit home.
Unlike alot of Americans, it did not take that event to instill a sense of patriotism in my life. I have been very patriotic my entire life, always flying a flag, supporting our troops and leaders; even joining the military to give back to a country that gave freedom to me. However, I am the minority. Americans take so much for granted and even dislike American values and standards themselves. How else do you validate the disrespect for law, government, religion and society? I personally believe the hatred directly correlates to the action they take.
I believe Barack Obama loves this country. I just don't think he is sold out to it. I believe he is dedicated to a life of service, but not committed to the sacrifice of service. Numerous times he has spoken of his many dis-tastes in the way this country is, and I strongly disagree with many of those points. Don't get me wrong, I am a Reagan-conservative and a registered Republican, but that does not bend my opinion in this case. The words that he uses, along with the things his wife has said, makes me believe he doesn't have the 'die for my country' mentality all the time.
I am not all that fond of Sen McCain either. I have no doubt in his patriotism, I have doubts in his 'conservatism'. I think he leans a litte too far to the liberal mindset on some issues that I feel strongly about. HOWEVER, given our choices, he is by far the better choice. After all, I don't want to have to learn to speak 'Talibani'.
I will support whomever is elected. I had to do that when my boss was Mr. Clinton, and I joined admist the Whitewater, Travelgate and Monica scandals. I did not agree with his behavior, but I supported him regardless. I supported Mr. Bush regardless, and continue to do so as my president. And I will support the next president, even if it was going to be Sen Clinton. Why? Because being a TRUE PATRIOT means that you trust that the leadership of your land have a much better idea and control on the issues than you need to understand.
I love my country. I love the diversity. I just wish that I believed the politicians when they say the same.

No comments: