Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Whining gets you everywhere

If you know me at all, you know I am a big Indycar fan. It started in 1983 when my father took me to my first Indy 500 and has grown to full-blown obsession, going to races and living on the internet and tv sites that carry the sport. However, after this last weekend, I am especially inclined to stop watching the series all together. The reason: Danica Patrick.
Most of you have no-doubtedly seen the altercation she had with fellow female racer Milka Duno at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course this last weekend. Most seen a clip of her going to Duno's pit box and talking, followed by towel throwing, obsenities and general 'arguing'. What most did not realize was, in fact, that the behavior is being defended by some people in the media, one of which is a well-respected reporter that covers the series. I don't agree with defending Danica. Quite to the contrary. I feel as though this is just another one of those 'prop the poster child up' senarios.
The facts of the incident are clear. During practice, Danica was following behind Milka Duno around the course. When Danica tried to pass, the slower, less experienced Duno seemed to block her off and not allow her to get by, almost hitting her at one point. A very upset Patrick shook her fist and pitted. After she got out of the car, she went to the Citgo pits and confronted Milka, saying 'didn't you see me?'. Duno immediately started yelling back and threw her towel in Danica's face, making her quite upset and inducing obsenities. More yelling followed and eventually Milka walked away and the crew blocked Danica from talking to her. Then Patrick said something about Brian Barnhart (president of operations, ICS) taking care of it and left.
What Danica should have done is talked to her chief Kyle Moyer. Several times this year (Indianapolis being the most advertised) Danica has had something not go her way, and thinks that she should be able to walk down pit lane, stomping and flailing, confronting other drivers or crews. Instead of cooling off and taking talent and technology into prospective, she immediately decided to run down and start pointing fingers. What does she expect people do to during the race? Move over? Not going to happen, so why expect it during practice?
I think Danica Patrick gets a free pass. I believe this based on her ability to run off at the mouth or storm another racer without reprimand. If I did that at my job I would be fired and most likely get my rear kicked. She seems to get the press and fans on her side. This behavior, though warranted in this case and not all her fault, still lacks good judgement. I personally feel as though a time will come really soon that she ends up in big trouble over her actions, either physically or verbally from another competitor. While most will dismiss her actions as childish and a game she plays to get attention, there are others that are getting tired of it and they won't stand for it much longer.
I am in the latter.

No comments: